Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Reverberate

Last week, my sister-in-law gave me a copy of Neko Case's Blacklisted, and I just can't shake the song, "Deep Red Bells." She wrote it about the Green River Killer, which gives it the macabre flavor that ensures maximum sticking power - at least, for people like me.

The windout has been camped out in my head for three solid days:

Where does this mean world cast its cold eye?
Who’s left to suffer long about you?
Does your soul cast about like an old paper bag,
past empty lots and early graves,
of those like you who lost their way
-m
urdered on the interstate-
While the red bells rang like thunder?

You'll just have to imagine Neko's voice soaring through the last line like an avenging angel.

Gives me chills.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I'm living here in Allentown, but they're closing all the factories down...

Does that help?

: )

Unknown said...

Yes, E - it helps a heaping ton. Thanks ever so much.

Sara said...

You are really into Neko Case, huh? Maybe I oughta take a looksee. Beats working for a living.