I love the Washington ritual of mea culpa:
"I am taking responsibility..." Now that my transgressions are out in the open.
"...ultimately the buck stops here." But before it does- look over there!
"I'm sorry..." That this ever made it into the papers.
"When Republicans found out about the explicit messages, Republicans dealt with it immediately, and he is gone." The creepy emails and drunken visits to the page dormitory, well they didn't seem odd at the time. And he assured us that it was all perfectly innocent. Who'd have thought a pedophile would lie?
"Someone did have those messages. There are reports that a Congressional aide was a source. The Committee should help find out who had the messages and why they were not turned over sooner." And when I find out who leaked this to the media, so help me...
Boiled down, Hastert's statement suffers from the weakness of most Washington apologies:
Taking responsibility
- consequences
= lip service.
Nice try, Denny - but the buck hasn't stopped yet.
When it has, you'll know.
No comments:
Post a Comment