Friday, December 29, 2006

Eighteen Large

So, I'm in the market for a minivan. 'bout time, E's stuck at home and frankly - we need a vehicle that can haul cargo. I noncommittally browse the local web listings, and start organizing the funds.

Thinking myself clever, I'd shoveled the family cash into an ING direct account. Better interest, I figure - and I'd thought it would be awhile before I actually found a car. ING orange accounts are basically money market funds linked to your bank accounts. Any time you want to move money to and fro your linked accounts, you log onto their website and, presto! Handy. And they have good UI.

A week after I do this, I find the perfect van. Miracles of miracles - it's in good shape, has low miles and the price is right.

Since all my cash is being authenticated in cyber land right now, my ING transfer is looking like a bit of a bummer. ING requires that funds in a new account sit for ten business days before they become available. Since I'd started the account on a Friday - this meant that I'd have three weekends (plus a holiday) before I'd be able to pull the cash out.

The net delay to my car transaction will be at least one week. I tell the seller this, and he's okay with it. I needed to get his car inspected anyway, so that ate up a day and there was Christmas right smack in the middle - so no biggie.

Dec 26 should be the first day I can pull the money. ING says it should post in two days, they assure me that I will be able to withdraw the money on the day it posts. "It's like a cash deposit, or a cashier's check."

'kay. So, 12:01am on Dec 26 - I log on and (whaddaya know?) I can move my money.

The next day, I see the funds disappear out of ING. The day after that, they show up in my checking account.

'kay. The buy is on. I talk to the seller. He wants to have all the money available to him on the day of the purchase. He wants a wire transfer.

Now, wire transfers are well and good, but they typically cost more money and they are not (in my experience) instant. I tell him this, but he's pretty convinced. I offer to talk to my bank and see what's up.

My bank tells me that wire transfers will cost us about $40, and that a cashier's check is free. Further, the bank guy says "Heck, if your seller's bank is local, you can run the cashier's check over to his bank and he'll be able to draw on that deposit the same day. A wire transfer just doesn't make sense if the receiving bank is local."

'kay. I tell the seller this, and he's happy to avoid fees. We agree to meet at his bank, I'll have the cashier's check, he'll have the title, and all will be well. Time permitting - I might even be able to squeeze in time to hit the DMV to get my tags so we can road trip this weekend.

---

Game time. I roll into the bank, hand him the check and he goes up to the teller. I sit down to kill time on some magazines - and it becomes clear that things are not well.

Seller motions me over. "They won't allow me access to the funds for several days."

I look at the teller. "It's a cashier's check. These are guaranteed funds."

She's unimpressed "You could have stopped payment on this check; we need time to make sure it's still a valid check."

Okay, I'm ticked. I tell her what my bank guy said, she just rolls her eyes. Seller's getting nervous, he either REALLY needs the dough today, or he's thinking this is all part of some master plan to rip him off.

I do the back and forth for awhile, but it's pretty clear I'm going to lose this one. We ask if there is a way I can pay the Seller so he can draw the money today.

Teller thinks a moment. "Cash?"

Screw that, I'm not driving across town will all my money in a sack. Somehow, my expression conveys this to her.

"A wire transfer would be same day."

"There's no delay to authenticate? He'll be able to get access to the money today?"

"Yep."

'kay. Seller and I pile into my car, I apologize for the mix up - and we tool into my bank fifteen minutes later.

I'm up to here with this, trying not to look like a dork in front of the Seller.

Hi. Void my cashier's check. Wire some money to this man.

My bank is nicer. My teller explains that most banks will take a cashier's check and allow withdrawals on it the same day, but the Seller's bank is an exception. She used to work there. So, each bank has its own rules. Nice to know. Now.

We're in the middle of doing the transfer when my teller thinks to verify that these funds will hit today and be available today. Three phone calls and much bank-speak later, it's clear that the wire transfer isn't a sure thing either.

"It could post today, it could post tomorrow - it depends on the bank."

Seller's really agitated now. I'm not willing to trust Seller's bank to take the funds same day. One option left.

"Give us cash."

The bank manager says it's going to take some time, they need to open the vault - we need to fill out some forms. My bank being nice, they give us coffee. An Account Rep tells us to meet us in her office, where she has eighteen stacks of Benjamins.

I'm looking at my watch. I'd planned on hitting the DMV or at least going back to work. How long is this going to take?

She counts out all the bills. Twice.

Then there's the "The Feds have to be told that you took more than ten grand out in cash" form - that seems to take an interminable amount of time.

Finally, it's done. The Account Rep leaves and I'm sitting there with the Seller. And this is the scenario I was trying to avoid.

Mind you, not because I truly believe that brigands roam the roads looking for people with large amounts of cash on them - but in exchanges of this type - people are typically agitated. The imagination is looking out for things that could cost you your money, or your property. You start looking for ways to stay out of trouble.

When you have a fat wad of bills in your lap, right after the teller has announced how much money you wanted and that you need it in CASH, you start to see trouble everywhere.

We go straight to the car. I'm picturing the Seller as some master scammer, who's going to use a stun gun on me and hop into a waiting van. He's checking behind us for masked gunmen.

Predictably, we get to his bank with no harm done. His teller seems exasperated that she has to count the bills, and I'm like- "Don't. Even."

Money in, Seller asks me to sign a receipt for him (which makes no sense) and wants a photocopy of the title (for whatever reason). He's nervous, and probably would ask the tellers for affidavits, if he thought they'd comply.

I check the title and I have what I need. He gives me the keys and I agree to drop him off at the rental car place. On the way he's decompressing. Chatting me up about this and that. He's a nice guy. Just having that much moolah up in the air got us both in a twist.

The fact that it took two banks over an hour to decide the fastest way to get my money across town was in a paper bag starts to bother me less and less.

I got to see bank people get nervous. I got to be irrationally nervous myself, and I got to fan a huge wad of Benjamins in my hands.

Plus, I got a minivan. I guess that's not too bad of a day.

7 comments:

Sara said...

Congrats on the successful (if not nerve-wracking) purchase! I think you'll like being the owner of a bigger car...it's so nice to be able to throw stuff in the back easily!

Anonymous said...

Please tell me the minivan works. I pray it doesn't break down in a week or so.

Anonymous said...

That has to be about the most nerve-racking story I've ever read. I expected it to end badly with you guys out a huge wad o' cash and to hear about some shady local ring of fake car salesmen bilking Madisonians out of their hard earned money.

Anonymous said...

Murph, welcome to the world of the larger vehicle. BTW, what year and model is the new horseless chariot?

Unknown said...

It's a 2005 Odyssey, which was part of the reason I was nervous. Mileage, condition, and private seller put the price in the right spot - but it was totally what we needed at a good price.

Since this was an internet lead (cell phone and email only) I'd half expected to get lured into some earnest money scam when I made the first meeting. (DM'ing has really screwed me up.)

Despite the Seller having a serious case of nerves on the closing day, I could tell he was just a regular guy, in dire financial straits. Really polite, kinda guy you'd like to chat with more.

His bank was Chase - those of you who've had dealings with them are probably wrinkling your noses out of habit. I guess being a fortune 500 company makes you abolish customer service. Seller had it worse than I did. English wasn't his first language, and the tellers were (I thought) especially jerky to him as a result.

"You want what?"

"I'm sorry, what was that again?"

"Could you speak louder, please?"

Beasts. All of them. The one concession to humanity was that they gave him a photocopy when he asked for it.

Ugh.

Anyways - 30 minutes at the DMV the following morning and the van was ready for the holiday cruise.

We're in the north country now - I'm using the hotel's free internet service. Our room was right above the New Year's Eve party - (complete with brass band and lounge singer) so baby E and family are a bit shredded.

It being the morning after the night before however, I did get to be first in line for the waffles (Damn right).

The trip hasn't quite turned out as planned. Gramma had a car accident right before we came up here - then she fell in her house and she's currently in the hospital.

We've been in a holding pattern between continental breakfasts and the hotel pool. (The boy loves the pool, I can see this will become a thing...). We're going to pop over to see her before we head south again.

I guess that's another post, though.

Hope everyone had a decent holiday.

Anonymous said...

Sometimes the stars just seem to align and all that technology cancels out and you're left with the good ole way. Having never had to deal with chase I have always understood that a cashiers check could never be stopped. As the seller I would have been suggesting I would never want to be carrying that much money, but I am eeevil after all.

Cheesehead Craig said...

Banks have the stupidest "rules" for how to handle money. The governmental restrictions to stop fraud and terrorism sometimes make what can seem like the simplist transaction into a friggin' nightmare.

Oh, and wires should hit the same day if done prior to 2:30pm CST. What bank is going to decline receiving a wire? The teller was just covering her ass in case they messed up and didn't sent the wire out that day.

ooooooooo my word verification for this comment is "darkdou". Best one I've seen.