On November 1, Energy Star will officially launch its revised specification for TVs, version 3.0, which promises to significantly reduce power consumption. After that date, TVs must meet the new spec to carry the Energy Star logo.Yeah, I mean - I guess I'm glad that the standard is being improved. It's just hard to feel good about an energy standard that had two iterations of measuring an appliance's power consumption when it was turned off.
It may come as a surprise that prior to the new spec, TVs were only tested in standby mode (plugged in but turned off) to comply with Energy Star. The TVs were never turned on for the test, and the only thing that qualified them for the logo, since 2005, was the ability to draw less than a watt when turned off.
You wonder what the 2nd revision added that the first lacked - plugging the TV in?
1 comment:
Now they will rate power use with the tv on but no signal. Baby steps...
Post a Comment