Saturday, July 25, 2009

Full disclosure

I read Penelope Trunk's blog.

Not for career advice. I read it for her uncommonly fearless appraisal of her life. Life has not been good to her and she does not shy from telling you about it.

Even by her own standards her latest post just floored me.
When I was five, I knew something was not right. That’s when I started therapy. I was never totally sure why my parents were sending me.

When I was seven I knew something was not right because the neighbor came over to our house when my parents were smashing picture frames over each others’ head. The neighbor said to me and my little brother, “Come with me.”

Then my memories get blurry. The next thing I remember is my high school homeroom teacher. I skipped a day of school and then came to school with a black eye and a note from my dad that said I had been sick. She said that she was not accepting notes from my dad anymore. She said I could not come back to school the next time I miss a day unless I called the police.
I've said before, you have to root for this person - because how could you do otherwise?

Ye gods.

No comments: