Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Blameless

The NYT reports that former First Lady Lara Bush is "opening up" about her 1963 at-fault car accident that killed another driver.

It was 1963 and she was a 17 year old driver on a back country road. She goes through a stop sign, hits another car, and kills its 17-year old driver.

Y'know, we're talking about over four decades ago... and there's not a lot of relevance these days, but look at the defensive onslaught she's bringing to bear:
  • It was dark
  • It was a bad intersection
  • The stop sign was small
  • The victim's car was unsafe
Oh, and she points out that she was chatting with a friend in the car when she went through the stop sign - so you can pretty much ignore everything in that list.

No worries, there's more:
  • Immediate concern for the other driver - “The whole time,” she adds later, “I was praying that the person in the other car was alive. In my mind, I was calling ‘Please, God. Please, God. Please, God,’ over and over and over again.”
  • The victim's car was unsafe

Whatever relevance these two items might have, it is beyond dispute that they do nothing to excuse the initial mistake of blowing through a stop sign. And shame on that poor kid for driving an unsafe car, no?

Look, you want to come clean about a mistake of yours that killed somebody - you should probably dial down the surrounding noise.

It doesn't stop with the accident.

She doesn't go the the victim's funeral - but even that wasn't her fault, you see? Her parents didn't want her to go, so instead she slept through it.

Honest to Pete - if I killed somebody in an accident, I wouldn't go to their funeral - because it would be an insult to their family. No matter how sorry I was - I'd be a distraction from an event that should be entirely focused on the deceased and their family.

You could say that, and hold your head up - but no. Her parents stopped her. It was beyond her control.

I'm sure this will get a good amount of press for her new book, but this hardly sounds like a person opening up. More like papering over. She's said nothing in the past, so sure, you could say it's more open than nothing.

But "open"? I think not.

No comments: