Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Heart Stopper

Donovan: USA's Captain Fantastic

You can't make this sh!t up.

Three minutes from total catastrophe.

All kinds of pressure, no kind of luck -

and Landon Donovan puts us over the top.

The USA win their group and advance to the second round.


We get Germany, Serbia or Ghana.

Adding up the if's could break a person.

If Robert Green wasn't such a feeb...

If Donovan doesn't score early in the second half of the Slovenia match...

If Bradley skies his shot 36 minutes later...

If Djebbour's 5th minute volley goes under the bar, instead of caroming off it...

and of course, if Donovan hadn't buried the 6 yard rebound with 180 seconds to go.

I need a drink.

Go USA

2 comments:

Eugene said...

Drink, Hell. I need a cardiologist. I think cardiologists around the country are going to see increased business.

Unknown said...

Too right.

I actually ran into people at work that day who not only knew the game was on - but were listening to the game on internet radio.

One of them got called into a meeting right before Donovan's goal and went thinking "Oh, well this game is over anyway."

Hah!

What a finish.