Monday, October 25, 2010

Mortgages from MERS

The Big Picture has a guest blogger with a monster post about MERS - the umbrella corporation that owns (but does not "own") over 60 million mortgages nationwide.

MERS, a transparent means to dodge regulatory expense and delay is swiftly metastasizing into a much bigger problem.

The deposition they quote is absolutely priceless:

As the treasurer and secretary of MERS admitted in a deposition:
Q Does MERS have any salaried employees?

A No.

Q Does MERS have any employees?

A Did they ever have any? I couldn’t hear you.

Q Does MERS have any employees currently?

A No.

Q In the last five years has MERS had any
employees
?

A No.

Q To whom do the officers of MERS report?

A The Board of Directors.

***

A That’s correct.

Q And in what capacity would they report to you?

A As a corporate officer. I’m the secretary.

Q As a corporate officer of what?

A Of MERS.

Q So you are the secretary of MERS, but are not
an employee of MERS?

A That’s correct.

***

Q How many assistant secretaries have you
appointed pursuant to the April 9, 1998 resolution; how
many assistant secretaries of MERS have you appointed?

A I don’t know that number.

Q Approximately?

A I wouldn’t even begin to be able to tell you
right now.

Q Is it in the thousands?

A Yes.

Q Have you been doing this all around the
country in every state in the country?

A Yes.

Q And all these officers I understand are unpaid
officers of MERS
?

A Yes.

Q And there’s no live person who is an employee
of MERS that they report to, is that correct, who is an
employee?

[Objection]

A There are no employees of MERS.

A great walkthrough of the MERS situation. And some great snark, too.

No comments: