For a state that prides itself on aloha, Hawaii hasn't had much in the way of broad appeal entertainers - (De Lima, Reiplinger, Bumatai, - ack - Medeiros). But the Aloha state really caught a break with the instant likeability of it's largest, favorite son - Israel Kamakawiwo'ole.
I think the first time I heard Israel Kamakawiwo'ole's rendition of Over The Rainbow - was on E.R. It's one of those songs that immediately resonates with you. If iTunes had existed back then, it would have been downloaded a million times by the time the show ended on the west coast.
Assuming people could spell the name right.
I've played my copy for the uninitiated a few times and the reaction was the same. People stop, listen and say somthing like "sweet voice."
Because it is. Israel Kamakawiwo'ole (all 500 pounds of him) had a voice like butter. NPR's story recounts his unlikely rise to fame and the equally improbable creation of his signature song.
Check this out.
It began at 3 in the morning. Milan Bertosa was at the end of a long day in his Honolulu recording studio.That's just great from any angle.
"And the phone rings. It was a client of mine," Bertosa remembers. The client rattled off Israel's unpronounceable name and said he wanted to come in and record a demo. Bertosa said he was shutting down, call tomorrow. But the client insisted on putting Israel on the phone. "And he's this really sweet man, well-mannered, kind. 'Please, can I come in? I have an idea,' " Bertosa remembers Israel saying.
Bertosa relented and gave Israel 15 minutes to get there. Soon, there was a knock at the door.
"And in walks the largest human being I had seen in my life. Israel was probably like 500 pounds. And the first thing at hand is to find something for him to sit on." The building security found Israel a big steel chair. "Then I put up some microphones, do a quick sound check, roll tape, and the first thing he does is 'Somewhere Over the Rainbow.' He played and sang, one take, and it was over."
Much as I loved the song, I've always wondered why he released a version where he screwed up the lyrics.
Knowing that he sang that song at 3 in the morning on the first take is somehow better than an explanation - More like a badge of honor.
Unvarnished, unrehearsed, unfiltered - he laid down vocals that rose above any other shortcomings.
No comments:
Post a Comment