Wednesday, September 30, 2009

The iPod...she is back

And all it cost me was slightly more than Apple would have charged me to swap its old guts for new ones.

To be fair to RapidRepair.com - the initial repair would have saved me money - but the cost of shipping something to them (insured) was substantial. $17 bucks - although I could have skimped on the insurance and payed just under 12. I didn't feel lucky - so I paid full fare.
Late Update: While cleaning up my desk, I recently ran across my receipt from the post office. It shows a charge of $17.35. I sat puzzling over why the bank transaction would show more than what the post office charged me until E walked by.


"Cash back." she explained.


So, I took out $20.00 cash and completely forgot about it. (It's so fun getting old). The amounts that follow have been adjusted.

Add to that the return postage, which RapidRepair bills about $12 for. It's overnight delivery, so that's solid - but that means you're adding $30.00 to whatever they end up charging you for actual repair. Even a modest repair plus shipping puts you in the range of $70.00.

That's the math I was counting on (actually, I was counting on better than that, since I apparently misheard the Post office worker quote me the price).

In any event - you have a small repair - you can save some bucks on fixing your iPod with Rapid Repair. You get above a minor repair and you're better off buying new guts from Apple for $120. My pod needed a new circuit board - which sells for $89.99 installed - so all told I ended up paying $118.00.

This was for a fifth generation 30G Video iPod.


This is not to say that RapidRepair is a bad deal - they weren't particularly rapid (17 days end to end - which included only 12 business days) and their pricing wasn't dreadful.

Three main issues:
  1. Shipping bumps any repair into the marginal territory
  2. My iPod's issue (which I considered minor) was actually serious enough to make a repair more expensive than replacement
  3. You only find out if repair is cost effective after you have spent $60-$70 on shipping and diagnosis.
So - I've learned that lesson. As wasteful as it seems, next time I'll just save my shekels and buy a new iPod.

No comments: