Thursday, January 21, 2010

Admitting a Bias

Yes, I am willing to believe bad things about large banks.

There, I've said it.

So when I read accusations of big banks asking for under the table payments to allow short sales of homes - I'm willing to believe that.
Since many second lien holders are getting very little, they are now allegedly requesting money on the side from either real estate agents or the buyers in the short sale. When I say "on the side," I mean in cash, off the HUD settlement statements, so the first lien holder doesn't see it.

"They are pretty clear and pretty upfront about the fact that if the first lender knows they are getting paid, the first lender will kill the short sale," says Brandt. "So these second lenders are asking for the payments off the closing documents, off the HUD statement, usually in a cashiers check prior to closing. Once they receive that payment, they will allow the short sale to go through, which according to RESPA laws and the lawyers that we have spoken to on the topic is not legal."
Reading Citi's lukewarm response doesn't go far to undermind that belief either.

(H/t to The Big Picture)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's not just the second lenders, but the NEW lenders requesting the payment remain off the HUD-1. If it appears on the HUD-1, they may not be able to sell it in the secondary market or to a secularization pool.