Saturday, November 20, 2010

Neko Brings It

It's no secret I'm a huge fan of Neko Case.

I can never decide if I like her vocals or her lyrics better - but it's clear that some of her lyrics demand a voice exactly like the one who first sang them.
It looks a lot like engine oil and tastes like being poor and small.
I mean, damn.

Anyway - So I'm looking up the lyrics to a song of hers on her website to make sure I can play it for little e's birthday crowd (Answer: no), and I run across this bit of intro text which just pulls me in further:
WELCOME TO MY WEBSITE

It has taken years and millions of tax dollars to develop, so I hope you will not be disappointed.
Cute, but the real payoff is the brief history of her life - where she introduces us to her parents.

This is done succinctly, and with her trademark ferocity:
I was born on an Air Force base in Virginia to some teenage children. After a short classified assignment for the president, my family returned home to Washington State. From about age four to age fifteen, I was raised by dogs and cats. I occasionally intersected with my parents by accident. “Oh it’s you?! I have to make you a lunch, don’t I?” As I grew into a young adult I was very confused and lacked direction. My parents very much wanted me to become a crack-whore, but I gravely disappointed them by graduating from college. Though they did not notice until years after the event, they still take my failings personally.
Holy crap, that's just awesome. Concise writing just bursting with imagery.

Like stepping into the Tardis. How the f#ck did all that get in here..?

She finds the right tune, Neko might just have another album in there.

I know I'd buy it.

No comments: