Friday, August 23, 2013

Cutting the Cord

One more follow up to my previous post:

I'd called my cable company and TiVO to discontinue service - because I've taken leave of my senses and have signed yet another contract with AT&T. (Shoot me now)

Both of these companies (understandably) have scripts for these kinds of calls. They're about to lose a customer - they want to try and win you back.

I thought the contrast between TiVO and my cable company was pretty striking.

The cable guy ignored what I was saying and kept to his script "Who are you going with?" "Have you seen our latest offerings?"

Over and over. I'm saying. "I'm done. I've already made this decision." And Cable Rep is still all up in my face. "We have some great deals..."

TiVO Rep started a similar script, but as soon as I said I'd already signed a contract - he just said okay. I respect that.

And I felt respected. Even as a departing customer. Points for TiVO.

*  *  *

Yesterday I found there was one other distinction between these two companies.

I'd asked for my service to be ended on September 4th, the day I was going to get Uverse installed.

TiVO Rep had a problem with that - My billing cycle started on the 1st of the month, and rather than bill me for another month they'd end my service at the end of August.

Not seamless, but I could deal.

Cable Rep was different. I explained I wanted the service stopped on the 4th and he never missed a beat. "Okay."

I was irritated with him over the sales pitch crap, and having to listen to him type my cancellation in - but once I explained what I wanted he got to work.

Boom, done.

*  *  *

But there's a catch. With data utilities - there is always a catch.

The catch arrived yesterday. I'm working on fettuccine alla boscaiola and E's looking out the window.

"I think the cable guy was just in our back yard."

Now - I'm ashamed that this did not immediately provoke me into a full on sprint into the backyard to demand what in the hell this man was doing on our property. But I didn't. I continued with dinner - under the (laughably naive) assumption that there was some prep work the cable company needed to do on site before they stopped my service.

I know, I know... but there was a lot going on at the time.

By the time I get stuff sorted - the cable guy is gone. I don't give it another thought until E and I sit down to watch our stories and-

Yeah. The cable's been disconnected.

That was yesterday. A quick look at my calendar shows yesterday is TWO WEEKS earlier than the September 4 cutoff I asked for.

Set aside the irritation at not having cable. Set aside the irritation that they've not done what I asked them to do.

What genuinely p!sses me off is the fact that they never said a word about it to me.

TiVO Rep said right up front "We can't cut you off on the 4th, we need to do the 1st."
That's respecting your customer, right there. Telling them what is going to happen before it does.

Cable Rep hears my request for a specific date and says nothing. Cable Guy coming to cut off my service never even rings my doorbell. He just shows up, cuts the cord, and drives off in a cloud of smoke.

So now I'm in a stupid position. What to do? Call them and ask them to re-install it for two weeks? They'd probably charge me installation.

But since I want to confirm my rebate status (we pay a month ahead, naturally) I call them anyway.

Today's Cable Rep tells me that my service was discontinued as of yesterday (really? I wondered why I was calling you). When I point out the early disconnect was not what I wanted - TCR tells me that once they put the disconnect order in the system, it gets scheduled for the next available technician in the area (whenever that might be).

Before making it clear that I'm not personally angry with TCR, I vent my spleen at this idea.

If you can't do something the customer asks - TELL THEM.
If you're going to do the opposite of what the customer wants - TELL THEM.

I get that handholding customers who are on the way out doesn't have a lot of ROI, but here's a thought: the first Cable Rep I spoke to could have said "Sir, if you don't want your service disconnected before the 4th, I'd suggest calling back on the 4th and we'll take care of you then."

Boom, done. No additional expense for them and the customer gets what they want.

Instead, the rep acted like they were listening to me - and then did the same thing they did in all other situations -

-what cable companies and telcos have been doing since they realized their customers were at their mercy...

-they did whatever the hell was easiest for them.

No comments: