World Cup 2014, baby!
Sure, we looked like total crap - and Beasley tried to score on his own team.
Never mind Fabian can't seem to cross for sh!t and we're missing our stars.
We had this guy:
Eddie freakin' Johnson IN THE HAUS!!
Pay attention, team. Eddie has just demonstrated the proper technique for doing something useful in front of goal. This is a skill that will come in handy in the coming months. Learn it, know it, live it.
I cannot fathom what the hell is happening to Mexico. Dos Santos looked ready to shred us in the first half. Once Eddie headed in his winner, Mexico just seemed to crumple.
Yeah, we tried to play like crap some more - long balls and craptacular passing, but it just wasn't enough. So when Eddie went out with a head injury, that should have been a turning point.
But no, in comes Diskerud who promptly demonstrates that - yes, Virginia, you can cross the ball properly, even if you play for the US.
Clint Dempsey fanned the ball, thinking (as a forward should) that every ball was meant for him - and then Donovan slapped it home with a reckless disregard for the lives of millions of Mexican soccer fans. Their blood is on your hands, Landon, I hope you understand that.
Dempsey even had a chance to make it 3-0 with a penalty, but whiffing on things seemed to be his thing and he shot the ball into the crowd like a total feeb.
Whatever. None of that matters now.
Head up in triumph, or backwards and propelled by the deeds of others - it all adds up to a slot in the finals in Brazil.
I figured we'd get there. I mean, we're in a group with Panama for crying out loud...
What's that? Panama is currently ahead of Mexico, you say?
Now, that's just cruel.
Perhaps the self flagellation occurring south of the border can be blamed on Panama... It's good that they have accomplished something.
I wouldn't want to coach Mexico for all the pesos in TJ. Owch.
But I would cheerfully step over their shattered hulk on my way to watch the US play in the finals...
Whoo-hoo!
Go USA.

No comments:
Post a Comment