Saturday, June 03, 2006

All fall down

Five a.m., we get a phone call. It's E's sister, and so we brace. E's dad's in the hospital, and we're not expecting good news.

E's folks both have cancer. Her dad for a long time, her mom was diagnosed only late last year. Both are unable to drive, but manage to stay relatively independent.

Yesterday, E's dad felt so ill, that they called 911. Her dad began treatments while her mom waited. One of the nurses noticed that E's mom didn't look terribly well herself. She was examined, taken to the ER. and treated for pneumonia.

That was sixteen hours ago. Now E's sister is calling to tell us that the hospital doesn't believe E's mom will last the day.

We pack in a rush and are out the door before seven.

Eight thirty, we're still over an hour away, we get VM from her sister "Call me, now."
E's mother passed away at 8:12 a.m. We drive for ten minutes in stunned silence. E's sister was just up for the weekend to visit. Last week we'd been up - E's mom was fine. Hungry, active, upbeat.

Not the plan.

5 comments:

Sara said...

I just can't fathom it; it seems truly unfair. She was a really wonderful woman. Quirky sometimes, but a loving and true person. I will miss her.

Please pass along my thoughts to Eileen. Let me know if there is anything I can do. I'll likely come up for the funeral.

Russ said...

Eileen's folks are two of the friendliest, warmest, most welcoming people I've met. The few times I got to spend time around them, they made everyone feel at home, they clearly enjoyed having their home filled with us "young'uns," and they almost felt like just another couple of college students, they were always so young at heart. Eileen, I'll mourn your loss.

Sandra Ulbrich Almazan said...

Eugene and I were shocked and saddened to hear this. We'll be thinking of you two.

Cheesehead Craig said...

Rachel and I are just in shock. Our prayers are with the both of you.

I will second the comments made by Russ. Everytime I was over there, E's mom was beyond friendly and courteous to her daughter's friends. She always treated me like family.

Anonymous said...

You and E are in my and Katrina's thoughts.

I wish I had words to make the hurt go away. I don't really think that there are any of those out there, though.