Friday, September 22, 2006

The one cat I'll miss...


On a more frivolous subject - Today the navy retires the F-14 Tomcat.

As a kid, this was the plane I dreamt about growing up to fly. I remember my dad telling me about planes that could shoot down the enemy at a range of 200 miles. "Never even see the enemy," dad would say. He was talking about this bird.

The truth was a little more modest:
A Tomcat with six AIM-54 Phoenix missiles and a AWG-9 radar system could track two dozen targets while engaging six of them at better than 100 miles.

The targets would need to be bomber-sized, and the only test of this had results that were always charitably interpreted - but still! It was a cool bird, swing wings and then there was VF-84 paint scheme which was multiple shades of kick-ass.

It was a movie star (Final Countdown, Top Gun, Executive Decision) it was....

...it was pricey. It cost Thirty-six million per unit. A full salvo for an F-14 cost over two million.

..and it was old.

Still, it was the plane I was stuck on as a kid, and while it's had a good run - it's still a bit sad to see it sent off to the boneyard like any other relic.

One more icon crossed off the list.

4 comments:

Sara said...

Monty is miffed at you for your title.

Unknown said...

Yeah, but Monty's part bison, so I can still miss the bison-part of him.

Cheesehead Craig said...

I never miss a cat.. he he he

Eugene said...

I remember putting together a model of this fighter way back when. It took forever to prime the parts, paint the parts, and glue it all together. I really hated the decals. Anyway, this plane will be missed.