He keeps hammering on two points, despite pointed, direct questioning.
- I need to protect the country (or “your family”).
- I don’t want to say things that will cause the enemy to adjust their tactics.
The second actually might have some merit, if the President demonstrated what he meant by it.
He could say, for example:
“If I told you that a specific tactic x was not allowed, it would tell our enemies that. Right now an interrogator can bluff a prisoner into believing that they will be subjected to this tactic – but as soon as I say that this technique is prohibited, and interrogator cannot even bluff using this tactic.”
But he doesn’t say that – he sticks to his talking points and leans into the reporter and makes the question about Matt Lauer’s family. “Don’t you want me to keep your family safe?” as in the classic salesman’s fake-out ‘question’ “Are you the kind of person who enjoys saving money?”
People who talk like that make you distrust them. You may answer their question, you may politely indulge them and let the matter drop. But you’ll remember what they said and what they didn’t. And you’ll think of them as dishonest.
A President with a good reason for withholding information should be able to convey this intelligently. President Bush just comes across as someone who has been handed a script and told not to deviate from it – no matter how foolish it makes him appear.
Well, mission accomplished, Mr. President.
You looked foolish, weak and dishonest.
No comments:
Post a Comment