Blogging is a curious animal. Readers who don’t know you will miss context and subtext. Readers who do know you can make you self-conscious.
I’ve been trying the anonymous route to protect the narrative – but even so, there are things you just don’t bring up.
I’d been debating in my mind if the Basketball Weekend is one of them. For over a decade now, my friend G has been inviting people over to his place to watch the opening rounds of March Madness. On the surface, this is boilerplate enthusiasm for a chosen sport. We like basketball; ergo we watch basketball in a group. Saves electricity, we can pool resources for beer and chips.
It might have been that, early on, - but the reality of any situation changes over time. What began as an excuse to drink and swear and carry on about this team or that team, is pretty much evolved into the best opportunity I have to see my old friends and step out of parenthood for awhile.
As I’m only starting to appreciate - those are two huge things in life. These are guys who I’ve known since – hell, since Bush the Elder was president. Given my background - outside of family, these are the people I’ve known the longest. We don’t chat regularly, so this is pretty much the only opportunity to catch up with them.
I remember C (of A&C) telling me once that she’d interviewed a co-worker for a project and one of the questions she’d asked was pretty typical: what do you know now that you wished you’d learned earlier? That sort of thing. Her co-worker had given a response that was pretty memorable: “I wish I’d realized how important people were a lot sooner in life.”
That’s always resonated with me. Growing up, my social life got erased every couple of years when we’d move – and I think I got more than I little used to writing people off when they were out of sight. I believe that this led to an alarming amount of selfish behavior on my part. I still do things that are (in retrospect) amazingly self-centered for a father of two. Of course, you appreciate the people around you – but investing in them is something I’ve been very bad at.
The Basketball Weekend has been G’s investment in his friends (I’m sure he doesn’t look at it this way) but boiled down – he makes his house available to everyone and we all benefit from hanging out together. March Madness is the excuse – but it’s just great to hang around with people who “knew you when.”
Reverting to selfish for a moment, it is worth pointing out that seeing your friends with their families is one thing – seeing them sans family is quite another. Stereotypically, this would mean the guys sit around acting lewd and chauvinistic because their wives aren’t around to carp on them – but this isn’t really what I’m talking about.
With my son and daughter around – I’m plugged into parenthood. Conversation steers away from subjects that aren’t fit for children and congeals around topics that address the current behavior of same. This is fine and good, but sitting in a roomful of adults, getting to talk like adults is one of the reasons there are bowling leagues and book clubs.
It is therapy. We can grouse about the things that cannot be fixed, discuss the world’s problems, or just forget everything and rally around the fact that Duke can’t seem to drain a basket whenever CBS coverage switches to Hi-Def (So long, Dukies – we won’t miss you).
It is not mere nostalgia, or escape – it’s an awful lot of things that I wasn’t sure I could (or should) spell out.
In the interests of splitting the difference, I’ll leave some things out.
I will not, for example – discuss drinking cocktails at ten in the morning.
I won’t go into details about when four of us watched two men wrestle in the nude.
-or how C made a waitress dance for him before kissing her (and him, a married man!) or any of that stuff.
Some things are just sacred.
3 comments:
Whatever you do, do not bring up how we cannot have a conversation about midgets with you gaying things up.
Nope some things are sacred and Betty is one hell of a dancer.
And I thought you guys just got together to belch and eat your own weight in meat.
There was a fair amount of that - plus Gyros from Oakland.
*aawwwllllahhhhh*
Good times.
Post a Comment