Monday, April 09, 2007

"...we've traced the call, they're inside the building! Run!"

Working in a business as large as my current employer, I suppose I should not be surprised when I run into people I used to know. I live in the area, they (likely) live in the area - the odds aren't that long.

Previously, I'd run into a former co-worker from my past life (who I did not get on terribly well with) and managed to deal. They've moved on, I'd moved on - actually, there really wasn't anything to move on from. Start from zero.

For the past few weeks, I've been seeing (or swore I was seeing) somebody I used to know. Walking down the stairs, crossing the hall - Hey! was that...?

This was a person I'd always regarded as odd - they hung out in our group, mainly in the company of another associate who I've since lost track of.

This person was always.... odd. They'd eat food off of someone else's plate without asking - they'd make dark observations about topics of light conversation-

They were the sort of person you'd envision hearing someone describing in a newscast as "Quiet, always kept to themselves. Never would have suspected that they had a severed head in the fridge..."

That kind of person.

This person was known as potatohead, and now I see them everywhere.

Question is, now what do I do? I don't even remember their real name. One of these days, we'll end up in the elevator together and they'll say "hi," and I won't have the foggiest idea of what to say.

"Hey, how's the... uh? Remember when you creeped us all out that one time? Wow, that was... uh..."

Too freakin' weird.

1 comment:

Sara said...

You look familiar, but I can't quite place you...did I go to college with you? You name was...gosh...I just don't remember! Pete? Pat? Paul? No, no, that's not right. What was it again?

I'd SO want to call him Potatohead to his face. But that's not nice.