Attitude Doesn't Affect Cancer SurvivalBeing positive can lead to a more enjoyable experience with the days you have left, but it's not going to put you in remission. But there is the upside-as Dr. Jimmie Holland points out:
WebMD
Having a positive attitude may help cancer patients deal with their disease, but it doesn't directly affect survival, according to one of the largest and most rigorously designed investigations ever to examine the issue.
The study included more than 1,000 people treated for head and neck cancer; the emotional state of patients was found to have no influence on survival.
"It is so sad that cancer patients are made to believe that if they aren't doing well it is somehow their own fault because they aren't positive enough."At least now, we can stop blaming patients for their poor health.
….
Speaking of things that don’t make you healthy-
I grouse a lot about how lousy the health news in this country is reported, and while I think we suffer from an abundance of expectation – I think we’ve been led down the primrose path by the usual cast of characters. Marketers have learned we'll buy anything if we’re constantly told it will solve our problems, even if it doesn’t. Witness kids' cough & cold remedies (dangerous), cough medicine (useless), & anti-bacterial soap (useless and dangerous).
I’m not sure what model would get quality information into the hands of consumers, but you’d think we’d find a way to keep the dangerous crap from hitting the shelves. How do any of these products get away with claiming things that have never been verified? I mean, does the American consumer really have to pay for the privilege of being a pharmaceutical guinea pig?
No comments:
Post a Comment