Monday, October 08, 2007

Passed along without comment...

...because I'd be hard pressed to add anything coherent:

From TPM:
The 2,600 members of the Minnesota National Guard recently ended a 22-month tour of duty in Iraq, the longest deployment of any ground-combat unit in the Armed Forces. Many of its members returned home, looking forward to using education benefits under the GI bill.

For example, John Hobot, a platoon leader, said, "I would assume, and I would hope, that when I get back from a deployment of 22 months, my senior leadership in Washington, the leadership that extended us in the first place, would take care of us once we got home."

It's not working that way. The Guard troops have been told that in order to be eligible for the education benefits they expect, they had to serve 730 days in Iraq. They served 729.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I, too, am hard-pressed to come up with anything other than a blind rage. Failing that, I'll resort to snark:

So, Bush Administration, how's that whole "Support the Troops" thing you keep harping on working out for you?

Of course, once they've been sent back home and have been used up by the Army, they're not really "The Troops" in some people's eyes, I guess.