Thursday, January 22, 2009

Anthony Bourdain and I have something in common

(From his interview in DCist)
Okay, I'll just say it. I think the [Spain - on the Road] show is f***ing awful. Mark Bittman comes off unsympathetic to say the least. Bringing someone who cannot or will not eat jamon [Gwyneth Paltrow] to Spain is a misjudgment. My crew grinds their teeth with rage looking at the crummy production values. Bad camera work, bad sound, bad direction. The whole thing sucks. It's unfortunate. It's mesmerizingly awful.

H/t to GOOD blog

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The one thing I will say about the show, though, is that it makes me want to go to Spain. Not that that takes much anyway - a good post card would probably have the same effect.

Sara said...

I'm with E on the whole going to Spain part, but it IS almost unwatchable. The sound is really bad, and I can't stand a lot of the segments. I've had it TiVo'ed since the beginning and just can't bring myself to actually watch it. Sometimes I watch one while I do something else. As much as I love Mario and Bittman, I can't believe I have such a hard time concentrating on it.

Unknown said...

That's it exactly.

I like Bittman and I just cannot deal with that show.

Cripes, a travel show about food? It should be like heroin to me - but this show is like watching a rich family's home movie. They just wander around and shoot the bull.

Not that every show has to be educational, but it would help if informative bits (like a narration) took a bigger role and the social banter was shifted to a secondary role.

Let's face it, not every conversation is camera-worthy.

Anonymous said...

i find it completely unwatchable. got through part of one episode (with gwynnie and mario b.) on a head of wtf?-steam. figured it out. never again.

but - it's spain? the whole 20 minutes i was watching, i thought they were in italy!

sincerely,
thorn