Fugitive filmmaker Roman Polanski is seized in Switzerland
While I can understand Mr. Polanski's belief that he was free to travel (three decades of government inaction would understandably cause complacency), I just love to think of what went through his mind when the Swiss police told him he was under arrest.
"Under arrest? What for...?"
That would be drugging and forcibly raping a minor, Mr. Polanski. Perhaps you'd forgotten.
Lord knows lots of other people have. Pat Goldstein of the LA Times is practically falling all over himself explaining why now is not the right time. It might cost money, it was so long ago, his victim forgave him and besides:
I think Polanski has already paid a horrible, soul-wrenching price for the infamy surrounding his actions. The real tragedy is that he will always, till his death, be snubbed and stalked and confronted by people who think the price he has already paid isn't enoughGot that? Oh, little man, how you have suffered. At liberty and physically intact but still: Snubbed! Infamous!
I'm one of those people who thinks Polanski should get the hard time he skipped out on three decades ago.
The appeals of sycophants like Goldstein and Polanski's lawyers are just pathetic.
It will be expensive - yes, but expensive, unprofitable tasks are one of the reasons citizens create goverments in the first place. The free market sure isn't going to do it. What other linchpins of the social compact are we going to write off in the name of a balanced budget? Drag this man home in chains.
It's been so long - yes, but it's still against the law to rape children - and let's not forget the man pled guilty. Polanski owes society a debt - and society has generously agreed to accept a late payment. Roman? You're welcome.
His victim forgave him - it isn't about the victim. It's about the crime. If we allowed victims to immunize their assailants, we'd be greenlighting spousal and child abuse on a national level. Screw that.
I especially love Polanski's attorney, Chad Hummel suggesting that arresting his client after decades of disinterest is somehow unsporting.
Yeah, well - it's not like they drugged his champagne.
Whatever lies the LA DA had been telling themselves to justify doing nothing until now - they were free to pick the case up at any time. Props to whoever suddenly remembered they were in the business of law enforcement.
Don't let him get away.
2 comments:
It is interesting that the victim says she feels that both she are her transgressor are serving life sentences.
Perhaps this would be the one apropos reason for extraordinary rendition and black sites.
We don't even prosecute those that green-lighted torture, almost certainly including teenagers, why not be consistent?
Well, I'm certainly not for torturing Mr. Polanski - but I'm all for him getting everything the law can throw at him.
Rapist. Fugitive.
He can be whatever he wants after he answers for those two roles.
On the torture prosecutions - I do have a small sliver of sympathy for anyone who was assured that what they were doing was legal and is now hung out to dry.
Being caught between superiors who assure you that waterboarding is peremitted and your vague understanding of US law would not have been a good place to be.
Still, I'd have expected more people to follow the FBI and bail out of the program rather than roll up their sleeves.
Put the hammer to 'em. You can sort out clemency in sentencing.
Post a Comment