Thursday, October 15, 2009

Cash and Carry

In the course of some recreational research into firearms laws in my state - I ran across the gunshow loophole.

I thought I'd found it closed, too - but apparently I was wrong.

Short version is that buying a gun requires a background check - so long as you are buying from a licensed dealer. That dealer will collect your name and address and send it to to the Fed's background check to see if you should be allowed to buy a firearm.

At gun shows, however private party sales do not require this kind of check. I had thought that the transaction would still be recorded. Who sold what to who. Not an ironclad method - just a record of the sale.

But apparently that's not so. Dealers deliberately avoid getting licenses and sell as collectors - and do not collect any record of the sale.



That... is seriously messed up.

I mean- have a law, don't have a law... but if you're going to have a law - don't leave loopholes you could drive 348 SKS rifles through.

(H/t FiveThirtyEight)

No comments: