Friday, December 18, 2009

I am so glad I am not this guy

Coding Horror has just had one of those moments we pretend only happen to other people.


Here's what happened:

  1. The server experienced routine hard drive failure.
  2. Because of the hard drive failure, the virtual machine image hosting [Coding Horror's] blog was corrupted.
  3. Because the [Coding Horror] blog was hosted in a virtual machine, the standard daily backup procedures at the host were unable to ever back it up.
  4. Because I am an idiot, I didn't have my own (recent) backups of Coding Horror. Man, I wish I had read some good blog entries on backup strategies!
  5. Because there were no good backups, there was catastrophic data loss. Fin, draw curtain, exeunt stage left.
Note to self: do some test file restores from Carbonite - and get E to do some as well.

Ow. That hurts just thinking about it.

Also: He links to a fairly solid post stating the elusive (yet obvious) truth about backups. Backups can only get you halfway.

No comments: