Thursday, February 10, 2011

Pull Me Out of the Wall

Easily the most mindrending bit of Radiolab I've heard yet. Finding Emilie. It starts with a 21 year old art student named Alan talking about he and his girlfriend Emilie waking up on the morning of October 8th, 2010.
Alan: She would take the bike and I would take the train.

Jad: What was the morning like?

Alan: It was a beautiful day it was...you know, the sun was low in the sky so there were...you know, long shadows. I strapped on her helmet and adjusted it. Took her bike out for her. We kissed each other goodbye, and said 'I love you' and I watched her ride down the street. In this early morning and then y'know, [whistles] on I went, down into the subway.

Jad: Six hours later, he's working in the studio, doing some sculpture and he gets a call - from a cop.

Alan: And he just said, 'Emily Liegossiaux' she had an accident. She's at Belleview, this is the address.' And I said 'Oh. I mean, do you have any more information?' He just told me that it was bad. I was, like, carrying a bunch of stuff and I just dropped everything and started running.
Bad is quite the understatement. At the hospital, the doctors had (to quote her mother) "opened her abdomen and they had taken her intestines out and put them on top of her body so that she could breathe."

That's not even the gripping part. It only gets more intense from there.

Give it a listen.

No comments: