Thursday, October 24, 2013

Golden Handcuffs

One of the key perks of my current gig is the vacation plan. You get five weeks paid vacation your first year of work. In your second year you get six weeks.

I know.

Take a moment to let that work into your system.

Yeah. That's a life altering amount of vacation for a new job.

It's what I was thinking when I wrote this:
Dear [Recruiter], 
I wasn't able to speak to all the powers that be [at my current job]. Friday is a low staff day I'm afraid. 
I have a meeting scheduled for Monday at 9am to sort everything out on what my status is going forward. 
I must tell you the signs point towards my remaining at [my current job]. 
If you need an answer from me this evening - then rather than drag this out I would withdraw as a candidate for your position. 
Your offer was more than generous, and your UX team is very impressive. What was beyond the reach of any offer at this point was my family's need for professional stability. [My current job] is offering me a fluid schedule and an almost alarming amount of PTO. 
With my wife's PTO situation in flux we need one of us to be ready to do the kid pickup and drop off. My wife has done the lion's share of that duty while I was at [CorpWorld] -  now it's her turn to go for the brass ring. Where we're at now - this just seems like the best option. 
Please extend my regrets to [your UX] team. It was exhilarating talking with them. 
Thank you for considering me.
That was Friday.

No comments: