Friday, September 09, 2005

Chatter

We go downstairs, into the waiting throng. There's a huge line for food and the church's layout ensures maximum snarl. I cut through to find mom - people shift rapidly from annoyance to sympathy as I bump awkwardly through them.

Dad knew a lot of people, and I know virtually none of them. Most are good enough to identify themselves, but I'm not really in a good mindset for retaining anything.

"Thank you, thank you. Yes. Yes.... Yes."

I meet up with mom, E and the rest, take my turn in line for food, and ultimately find myself parked with G, C and the gang.

The basement is sweltering and soon we're upstairs, commandeering a room and talking about subjects that have no business being discussed in church. We're jolted back into good behavior when one of the church ladies arrives to take our picture.

Cheese.

No comments: