Thursday, September 08, 2005

Petty thoughts

I'm leaving a lot of things out, too much to cover - too hard to remember it in sequence.

Phone calls from family - dad's cousin L in Chicago seems overly affected. They'd had some kind of feud, and now it will never get cleared up. He'd sent me an homage, told me how devastated he was, volunteered to be a pallbearer.

Truth was, I was so far from the action on that one, I have no idea what to think. Dad's baggage with him was his issue. Dad didn't discuss it, and so much as I was able, I communicated to him that L wanted to mend fences.

Now, the whole thing just seems so stupid. I have no absolution to offer, and whatever gesture L can offer up will never get to its intended audience.

I want to say, "It's over. Let it go."

Instead, I just say whatever seems safest.

No comments: