Monday, July 02, 2007

Loyalty over principles

Commuted.

The President commuting Scooter Libby's prison sentence is the exclamation point after the phrase-

I am a lousy President!

I can't even express the full amount of disgust I have for this President. The only time this President commutes a sentence that hasn't already been served, that hasn't even begun- he does it for his crony.

"I respect the jury's verdict," what a load of crap.

I can't wait - CAN NOT WAIT for the GOP loyalists to spout off in defense of this shameless and unprincipled act.

Way to set a damning and injurious precedent, there, Mr. President. And what might you do for an encore?

6 comments:

Russ said...

I actually heard someone at my office shout out, in an incoherent grunt of disgust, upon taking a break to peek at cnn.com this afternoon.

Can't say much about that one. Sure shows when the VP isn't running for re-election around this time, isn't it?

Unknown said...

That's it exactly. These guys are on the way out, their poll numbers are hanging with Nixon, and there is no legal barrier to doing what they just did.

It's the same middle finger this White House has been giving to their critics since the very beginning.

These guys can't leave office soon enough.

Sara said...

Anyone want to give me odds on a January 19, 2009 pardon?

Russ said...

I confess - I was thinking the same thing. Especially tonight, after reading that Bush won't rule out an eventual full pardon.

"Now that he has paid his debt to society..." I expect his friends will have paid off his fine for him by then, and his handlers will have had him very publicly involved in some charity or another...just to prove what a great guy he is, and how much he deserves that pardon.

Unknown said...

Right. Basically what they're saying now is that this commutation is some sort of compromise - but it's a pardon in all but name.

His fine is snack food for his legal defense fund and his wealthy friends.

He doesn't go to jail, and his probation is meaningless (I somehow doubt he's likely to violate his probation) - so the only thing that remains is that he is a convicted felon.

So he can't vote or purchase firearms, or run for office. Big fricking deal. He can still get a fat paycheck doing lobbying work or some such.

And you're right. The President is saying with his usual smirk that he won't rule out a pardon - so he'll do that, because there's nothing anyone can do to stop him.

I'm sure he'll couch it in equally disingenuous language. "This man's family has suffered enough. He has paid his debt to society."

Blah, blah, blah.

Bargain and corruption. And this was the President who claimed that his administration would the "most ethical administration."

Anonymous said...

George Bush is President because God wanted him to be. He is doing God's work so... ipso facto, anything and anyone working with him is doing God's work. If the Pres gave Libby commutation, God must have willed it. Libby's future pardon must be God's future will. It really quite simple. Christopher Hitchens seems to have something to say about this.