Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Party Girl and Usability guy

The NYT just happened to publish articles about the work/work culture of E's job and my job.

On the same day, no less. It must be a sign.

Anyway

Here's E's:

A Hipper Crowd of Shushers
By KARA JESELLA
Published: July 8, 2007
A new type of librarian is emerging: think Dewey Decimal meets Generation X.
And here's mine:

Technology’s Untanglers
By BARBARA WHITAKER
Published: July 8, 2007
The work of usability professionals, who bridge the gap between the makers and users of a product, has recently developed into a solid career track.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have to admit I have not yet read the nyt article, but some of the reaction on the librarian blogosphere (and yes, there is a librarian blogosphere, and it's huge) has been, "Oh, great, another article exclaiming in surprise to discover that librarians are actually normal people." Now, I'm going to read it and form my own opinion. : )

Kirstin said...

So thats what you do! As a 10 year veteran in the IT industry I was mildly embarrassed that I couldn't quite put a title to your job and didn't want to say "so what do you do anyway?"
Now I know.
can you tell blogger that word verifications like xwrwvkwt aren't very bloody readable in their weird italic font?

Unknown said...

I can tell them that, but the fun part of usability is that no developer is really happy to hear what you say.

"Great idea" = more reworking of functional code, i.e. "bite me, usability-man"

*grin*

My current employer's version of usability is a bit of the beaten track, but let's just say their intentions are good.

But yes, that's what I do, I get to gripe for a living.

Sara said...

It fits your cranky outlook on life, complaining for a living.

And as a database guru, I have always thought librarians were cool! ....what took the NYT so long?

Anonymous said...

Here I was thinking the 'librarian action figure' pretty much captured the whole thing. shoosh.


Oh well, I suppose my rock em sock em usability guy vs. developer game is still accurate.