Years ago, I published a parody website that got me in trouble with my former employers. The essay that got me in the hottest water was a story titled "Unpleasant Subject Avoided at All-Staff Meeting." The story had a firm footing in reality, but the joke was that the article did just what it lambasted management for doing; it didn't mention the unpleasant subject.
I think this subtlety eluded management at first. When I finally 'fessed up to management about writing the article, I'd pointed out the joke and instantly felt the tension go out of the room. The managers had been mad at what they'd thought I'd said, instead of what I actually had. I got a sheepish grin instead of a tongue-lashing.
Later, I was invited back by the same manager to sample (of all things) some music that took a similar tack of generic-language humor. It was a CD by a group called Da Vinci's Notebook. There was a lot to love on the CD, but the priceless bit was a parody of pretty much all ballads ever written called Title of the Song.
Title of the Song is a description of all the stereotypical ingredients of a love ballad – set to music. A brilliant and thorough skewering of the entire genre.
I laughed my butt off in the manager's office – it was hilarious. I duped a copy to my work computer and listened to it for the rest of the day.
Eventually I swapped computers and lost my stored copy – but I assumed I'd be able to get a copy in any store or on iTunes.
And I couldn't – these guys had no web presence – at least not then. Totally pissed me off. I'd have bought the CD if I could find it. I'd given up on finding them. Obviously - I quit too soon.
Today, Sivacracy has found them – and you can hear the music online or even watch the video. I'd do the audio first, their lyrics and delivery are better than the visuals.
Here's hoping their musical send up of Disney, "Kingdom of the Sky" is out there as well.
Thanks, Siva! I'd totally forgotten about these guys.
Late edit: I clearly should have Google-ed these guys before now. Watch this video (Not Safe for Work)
No comments:
Post a Comment