Granite Staters want a candidate who will look them in the eye and tell them the truth. John McCain has done that day in and day out, never wavering, never faltering, never pandering.Perhaps in an attempt to head off the rebuttal Romney's campaign offered to the Concord Monitor's rejection of his candidacy, the Union Leader isn't just saying that Romney has no convictions - they are claiming he is not conservative enough.
Mitt Romney has not. He has spoken his lines well, but the people can sense that the words are memorized, not heartfelt.
...
In this primary, the more Mitt Romney speaks, the less believable he becomes.
Incredibly, they are offering John McCain as a man who has convictions and won't "lie to get elected."
I don't know where they get the stones to say that.
- This is the man who has done an about face with the religious right - just in time to run for president.
- This is the man who denounced torture of detainees, and then voted in favor of the Military Commissions Act, which denied them habeas review and allowed the president to narrowly define torture.
- Then he voted against an amendment which would end the President's power to create new military commissions by 2012.
But McCain's reputation for straight talk is well past its sell-by date, too.
I'll wait for the first conservative editorial that runs with that observation, but I'm betting I'll wait a long time.
No comments:
Post a Comment