Monday, March 24, 2008

Hail, Mary...

(H/t to Once upon a time's Arthur Silber)

If Silber, William R Polk, and U.S. News & World Report's Terry Atlas are to be believed - there are signs the US is ramping up towards attacking Iran.

I'm not sure I'm convinced, but I'm sure as hell worried. Restraint has not been signature trait of this administration, and it's clear they enjoy rattling their saber.

If VP Cheney and Sec. Gates start glad handing our allies in the region - I think it's time to dust off the impeachment rulebook.

War with Iran is insane.
Striking Iran would be the precursor to war with Iran - and is also insane.

There is no way we remove Iranian nuclear capability without prolonged military action. Prolonged military action in Iran will not end their nuclear ambitions, defeat Al Qaeda, or save the economy.

Mr. President? There is no silver bullet.

Just sit on your hands for the next ten months and maybe we'll all get out of this mess in one piece, eh?

Late Edit:
Gen. Petraeus is shaking his saber today (via the BBC):
"The rockets that were launched at the Green Zone yesterday, for example... were Iranian-provided, Iranian-made rockets," he said, adding that the groups that fired them were funded and trained by the Quds Force.
"All of this in complete violation of promises made by President Ahmadinejad and the other most senior Iranian leaders to their Iraqi counterparts."
Okay, the rockets hit yesterday. I'll grant that they can figure out that the rockets match rockets made in Iran in a day.


-But I'm supposed to believe that the military can find out who fired them, their ties to Iran, and definitively say that these weapons were provided by and with the knowledge of the Iranian government - in 24 hours?


I don't think so. And even if it were so, the General should start providing more than a blanket accusation. We've seen this dog and pony show before.

No comments: