I'm a little turncoat, short and stout....
Hi, it's me - the US Men's National Team.
I was reflecting on our most recent match against Italy and I had a question.
Before I get to that, let me just say - we're honored to be in the FIFA Confederations Cup. We realize we're in a tough group - facing the likes of Brazil and Italy. No sleight against Egypt, but well - they suck.
Top two will make it out and - let's be fair - odds are it won't be us. Brazil and Italy will mop the floor with Egypt and it's not like we're a massive obstacle.
We get that. But in soccer, as in all sports, there's always that chance where the odds come up wrong. That an underdog will send the favorite team home. That possibility is deeply engrained in the psyche of every American.
The Miracle on Ice, Belo Horizonte - we live for that kind of sh!t. Fact is, in sports like soccer, we've had to. We're never the overdog. And we're not griping about that. These things take time.
So, to my question. I'm looking at the scoreline for US v Italy and I have to say it doesn't surprise me all that much.
Scoreline - June 15, 2009
USA: 1
Donovan 41' pen
Italy: 3
Rossi 58', 90'; de Rossi 72'
Italy's a dominant team. I'm happy for the Rossi kid. I'd point out he came from Jersey, but you know that already. Team like Italy is going to beat us almost every time. That's almost, not every. Great passing, control and a shameless amount of pure talent.
Watching a guy like Pirlo play, you forget who you're cheering for and just marvel.
But here's my question:
Does the US have to play every goddamn match against quality opposition down a man because of a total bullshit red card?
I'm just asking because the Clark ejection was total crap. Yellow, no contest. Any ref with eyes would call it that way. The eager PK to Donovan was so obviously a make up call. Yes, it was a penalty - but if we were level on men - does anyone really believe the ref would have called that in our favor?
So the no hope team has to go against Italy down a man - for an hour? Why not eject two? - I mean hell, it's not like it would lower our odds any...
If you're going to invite us, is it too much to ask that you don't cripple us before sending us into the teeth of the best teams in the world?
It's just a question.
Cripes.
2 comments:
Apparently FIFA really appreciates the Monty Python Black Knight scene.
They didn't do much better against Brazil. Brazil's 1st goal in the 7th minute came off of a free kick due to a "phantom foul". Bad stuff going on.
Post a Comment