Mr. Comey is responding to written questions from Rep. Linda Sanchez.
There certainly aren't any more bombshells in this testimony although there is grist for those who hope to go after the AG for discussing classified material inappropriately.
2. Was classified information discussed in the hospitalComey is very curt and precise in his wordings, so it would appear that trail goes cold fairly rapidly. Frankly, it would seem like an even longer shot than getting someone for outing Valerie Plame. There's not enough testimony, not likely to be enough testimony - and it would be terribly difficult to prove unless Mrs. Ashcroft comes forward with details she couldn't have gotten any other way and points the finger at Gonzales and Card.
room that night?
I did not discuss classified information. I do not recall whether Mr. Gonzales mentioned any aspects of the matter that would be considered classified, including the name of the program - which was itself classified, as I recall - when addressing Mr. Ashcroft.
...
Did all individuals present in the hospital room or with access to the hospital room have appropriate security clearance to learn of the matter discussed in the room?
I do not know, but assume Mrs. Ashcroft did not have
appropriate clearances.
Not gonna happen. It would appear that this was the main thrust of Rep. Sanchez's questioning and while they are useful questions to ask - I'm relieved they can let this wild goose chase drop and focus on bigger issues.
Like, how is it that this supersecret, program was allowed to continue even after the White House had been advised that the US Department of Justice would not attest that the program (as of March 10, 2004) was legal?
Ugh.
---Edited
While I was looking at Comey's responses to Rep. Sanchez's questions - the rest of the world was looking at Comey's response to Sen. Leahy's - and those do contain potentially explosive content.
No comments:
Post a Comment