Thursday, June 21, 2007

So, which model of development do you follow?

Speaking as a member of an RUP-shop, it's nice to see there are some real-world alternatives waiting in the wings:

New Systems of Management

2 comments:

Sara said...

Am I missing RUP in the list? I can't find it.

Unknown said...

Whoops, I posted a little too fast there.

RUP is Rational Unified Process - an actual development protocol - that my employers purport to use.

In actual fact, we're closer to the
Development By Denial (DBD) - Everybody pretends there is a method for what’s being done, and that things are going ok, when in reality, things are a mess and the process is on the floor. The worse things get, the more people depend on their denial of what’s really happening, or their isolation in their own small part of the project, to survive.

with a dash of

Learned Helplessness Development — in which team members have been beaten down for so long that they assume that no matter what they do, they’ll suffer because of it. It’s the result of frequent and random negative reinforcement combined with infrequent and random positive reinforcement.