There's a big storm a comingThis afternoon I got to have lunch with LB, a friend from my previous life in the nonprofit sector. They're just about to make the leap into CorpWorld, into what looks to be a superb opportunity, and this was a congratulatory/catch up kind of thing.
Of this I've no doubt
That storm's gonna blow
your little world inside out
When the wild winds let up
When the violence wanes
You'll think of me then,
when you're watching it rain
It ain't the wind, it's the rain
-Mary Gauthier
The weather is going to turn Biblically bad this afternoon, so it's good to get out and about before things go bad.
Lunch with LB is always a good time, they have a wicked sense of humor and a great sense of fun. We chat about things that drive us nuts, and grouse about work- it's therapeutic without being a pep talk.
The conversation tuned to a friend of theirs who'd lost their mother - and quite unexpectedly, I started talking about dad. This is not something I do often, and it would appear that it is not something I do often enough. Outside of this blog - and a wonderfully cathartic discussion with my wife a week ago - I doubt I've said more than a few sentences out loud on this topic for quite some time.
Well, the words just kept coming out, and soon I'm pretty well screwed up. It manages to be embarrassing and enormously comforting at the same time. LB mentions asking their friend how they were doing and they had been so grateful to be asked.
I'm pretty much in the same boat. I don't want to talk about it, but paradoxically it is is so nice to be given the opportunity to do so.
I'm back in the office now, and the weather sites are predicting two-inch hail and tornadoes. The tree outside the window is whipping around like a palm in a typhoon. It's going to be a bad night for a lot of people. We're not used to this around here, weather that's a big deal is for other places. Just a confluence of events turned our usual weather into something called a Derecho.
Nature's getting something out of its system.
Lot of that goin' around, I guess.
No comments:
Post a Comment