Monday, December 24, 2007

Army of one

My last employer gave me five weeks off every year, with the option to accrue up to six weeks.

My current employer gives you three weeks PTO (which includes sick leave). Also, they don't rate Christmas Eve as a paid holiday.

Sickness, sick kids and moving have me in the hole on PTO.

So here I am.

The upsides to being at work today:
  • I get the parking spot closest to the building.
  • No interruptions. Phone and email might as well not exist.
  • Web apps that haven't been taken down for the holidays are blazingly fast.
But the lights keep switching off, the vending machine coffee is indescribably bad-

Despite this, some work is actually getting done.

I've never had to work on Christmas Eve before – and I can't say there's much to recommend it. But – nobody bugs you.

1 comment:

Russ said...

That stinks. With my government job, everybody in my office had sort of assumed we were working today - it wasn't until a new hire mentioned off-hand that we had today off, that we all realized it. You can IMAGINE how that news raced through the office like wildfire!

Merry Christmas Eve Day, anyhow. :(