Tuesday, December 11, 2007

I'm sure this will all work out in the end

About the time that we are all but moved into our new place and all but out of our old place - the offer on the Tatanka house was accepted.

This will mean that we have between two and three months of purgatory before we can resume our roles as debt-ridden homeowners.

Which is not to say that the rental is a waste - it was absolutely going to happen with or without the offer going through - now we know that it will be over sooner rather than later.

In the meantime, we're re-learning the joys of rental property:
  • Second-guessing decisions about putting nails into the walls.
  • The inability to fix/replace minor items that annoy the crap out of you (like ruined door-stoppers).
  • Mapping which plugs be relied on and which plugs are controlled by a wall switches.
  • Lugging the trash down to a communal dumpster that is forty yards from my door and behind a locked door. (Always fun in 18 degree weather)
  • A drive-up mailbox (with a key) that is sixty yards from my front door (also fun in 18-degree weather)
  • Heat that (while free) purges the house of all moisture and makes you start every morning on the verge of a hangover.
  • Giving my new address to the same pizza company we've been writing checks to for years and being told that "we don't take checks."
  • A washer and dryer whose capacities are barely adequate for a pygmy living alone at a nudist camp.
The endgame puts us in a big house for the right price (barring horrific defects like last time), so I suppose I should suck it up - but I'd forgotten what I'd hated so much about renting.

Bring on March.

3 comments:

Kirstin said...

We have extra humidifiers if you'd like to borrow one for a while.

Sara said...

Woo Hoo!

I look forward to the day that I can drop down in the middle of the giant family room and roll around in all of the glorious space!

I'm sure you do too!

Anonymous said...

In the meantime, Little Bean loves the "impartment." He loves his new bed with a real box spring, and I think he's just genuinely excited by anything new. Very cute.