Wednesday, June 20, 2007

iPhone mania

Okay, I'll admit it. I want an iPhone. I don't believe I will actually get one - but it's sure fun to think about it.

The hype is definitely pushing all the right "gimme buttons."

If you've seen the keynote address, you know what I'm talking about.

Oh, sure the pushback has started in earnest now - people claiming that the battery life for high use could be as low as 45 minutes. Mutterings about the screen being hard to use, the glass just got replaced because it scratched easily.

My personal favorite is that people are planning to camp out to buy this thing and AT&T hasn't even told people what the service plans will cost.

I'll freely admit I'm an impulse buyer - but you wouldn't catch me lining up to buy something if I didn't know what it cost.

USA today has an article about the hype (that is yet more hype) that contains a great quote from an iPhone enthusiast's girlfriend:
"For the past four weeks, I've heard nothing but iPhone talk from David, his friends, my brother and, basically, any male between the ages of 13 and 40 within earshot. It's insane. I'd pay 500 bucks and sleep outside in line to just shut these guys up."
Ha!

4 comments:

Russ said...

Yeah, but the commercial makes it look cool.

Unknown said...

Here's the thing for me:

What's mobile internet worth to you?

I mean, I have broadband at home for around twenty a month.

Now, there are a lot of rumors about what iPhone's wireless internet will cost - but let's assume it will be in line with other carriers. So, $14-$20 a month.

It may be that wireless internet will be like the transition from landlines to cells (i.e. having to go into a building to access the service seems archaic now), but I'm not so sure I'd be jazzed to drop another twenty a month to access the net from a handheld device.

You? anyone?

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Russ said...

Don't look to me. I'm always years behind everybody else in technology. I'm the cranky old luddite of this group.

Anybody want to argue with me? I had DIAL UP internet until a few months ago. DIAL UP.

DIAL UP.