Friday, June 22, 2007

Scary good UI


I'm susceptible to good marketing - and Apple has clearly spared no expense in the "make it look cool" department, but damn. The iPhone sure has all the appearances of having some insanely good UI.

It remains to be seen if a touch screen can be made to function like a manual keypad, but the rest of the touch screen features look pretty impressive.

I know, it's just a demo.

But watch the latest demo, and then hold onto your wallet.
Small res Medium res High res

I'm supposedly trying to make user interface better where I work - but the complexity of making a machine behave in ways that seem natural to people is an uphill undertaking. Machines are logical, and people aren't. Or rather, machines demand precision and people often change their perspective of a task mid-stream. Machines are pretty lousy at this, and making software respond to our naturally fluid tendencies is an exercises in torturing your development team.

I am confident that the iPhone will disappoint many - it's flaws will be exposed over the next year and criticisms will go viral in the next month. I'm still mystified how they can be a week out from selling the product in stores (along with a two year contract) and the terms of that contract are still unknown. But even if half of what you see in the demo works as advertised - Cell phones as you know them are going away.

UI 2.0 folks. Drink it in.

2 comments:

Kirstin said...

I watched the demo, I drank the heady, intoxicating kool-aid.

Then I looked at the price for the 8GB phone, cos if it's going to be an iPod it needs space.

Perhaps I'll have to wait a year or two before I buy one.

Unknown said...

Right there, that's a major ding on this puppy.

8GB for $600?

I mean, I'm not even a high end user of my Pod and I've got over 9GB on my 30 right now. To be fair, a lot of that is podcast bloat - but I'd have more audio in there if it weren't for the hassle.

And they're expecting people to view movies on this thing and the smaller model would max out ten movies?

Eww.