Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Take a good look at a future star of women's soccer...


...because she's going home.

Scoreline - September 18, 2007
Korea DPR: 1
Ri 22'
Sweden: 2
Schelin 4', 54'

Charlotta Schelin may look happy, but the final score would leave her more like the Korean keeper. Sweden needed to win by three goals to advance - and while they did well, it just wasn't enough.

Cryin' shame, because Sweden has never gone out in the first round before and Schelin was finally hitting her stride. Her, you will see again - but I think this will likely be it for Ljungberg and Svensson. They should have won the last world cup when they were in their prime.

That's soccer.

In other news, the US edged out Nigeria:

Scoreline - September 18, 2007
Nigeria: 0
USA: 1
Chalupny 1'

We probably should have done better vs. this team, but when you are sure of advancing and all but assured of winning the group, there's not much inclination to go for broke.

Unless you're Abby Wambach, of course. She was her usual wild and crazy self out there - something I would normally not have much of a problem with. Late in the game she spent an inordinate amount of time killing clock in the corner and getting hacked on.

A common way to kill time late in the game is to go into the opponent's corner with the ball and just hold onto it. Most takeaway attempts will lead to throw ins or - even better - corner kicks. The down side, aside from being boring to watch, is that the player stalling gets whacked by defenders in the process.
(How do I know this? Julie Foudy told me so, and I believe everything she says. You should, too. She should have her own show - it should be called "JP Dellacamera knows nothing about soccer, so I'm taking over!")

I digress. Ahem - Placing yourself in harm's way to kill clock.

This is fine if you are an anonymous midfielder - but it is not okay if you are the irreplaceable power forward and the lynch pin of your team's offense. The after action reports may show that Abby was just stalling on the injuries (another thing I'm not fond of), so perhaps this is all moot - but if she's taking real whacks - she should pass the damn ball.

Our midfield woke up for this match, and we had some good chances - but we were not a dominating force. We're through to the next round- and we get to face England and Kelly Smith (mostly Kelly Smith).

At least they are not Germany. North Korea gets that prize and they are welcome to it. I'm hoping whoever emerges from that furball will be whacked and covered in yellow cards by the time we have to see them again.

On to the knockout round!

No comments: