Wednesday, September 26, 2007

What do we spend in Iraq every week?

Well, if the latest funding request goes through, we will up the 2008 funds from 147 billion dollars to 189 billion dollars.

Even I can do that math.

That's just over 3.6 billion dollars per week.

The talking point on this money - that is repeated everywhere - is that the money is in large measure for mine-resistant vehicles.

Total amount going to MRAPVs? 11 Billion.

I can do that math, too. Eleven billion out of forty-two leaves $31 billion that is going somewhere else.

I'm sure it's the single largest line item, because it is the line item that is easiest to sell.
But what about the almost two thirds of this money that is not being used to sell this spending bill?

Where does that money go? Why do we only get the talking point summation of this funding instead of real information?

No comments: