So, the reporter asks why McCain has never mentioned Iran's Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei - who actually is in charge of Iranian foreign policy.
McCain's answer is to change the subject:
Oh I thin-Again, I respectfully disagree. When he's the person that comes to the United Nations and declares his country's policy is the extermination of the state of Israel, quote, in his words, wipe them off of the map, then I know that he is speaking for the Iranian government and articulating their policy and he was elected and is running for reelection as the leader of that country. Yes sir, go ahead.Got that?
Here would the distilled version of the exchange:
Q: You claim that Obama would talk to Ahmadinejad, who you denounce - while Khamenei is the real power in that country. Don't you think you should be talking about Khamenei?This guy is just a piece of work.
A: Ahmadinejad said he wanted to destroy Israel. Average Americans think he's the leader. Well-versed people think he is. So there.
(H/t to Glenn Greenwald and HuffPost)
2 comments:
I know that this is totally off topic, but I hope that you are Tivoing the UEFA Champions League Final. It's been pretty scintillating.
Sorry had to wait until I did the TiVo thing. E pre-empted the game to watch some cooking show re-run and the game ended up getting deleted before I watched it.
Just as well - having sat through the entire match just to see Man U win on penalties would have probably put me into a killing rage.
Post a Comment