Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Lara Logan tells the truth

Only when you hear the truth do you realize how often you are patronized, or lied to outright.

CBS correspondent, Lara Logan was on the Daily Show last night and refused to mince words. (emphasis added, but just barely)
Stewart: What is...What don't we know?...Are the reports of what's really going [on] over there - getting out? You've been there since this thing started. What are we missing? We know nothing.

Logan: No, I don't, I don't think we really do have very much of an idea. We have all these armchair academics who go over for one visit. See Laura Bush saying "This is my third time in Afghanistan" she doesn't mention that she was only there for a few seconds.

[snip]

Stewart: How hard is it to get those stories [about the war] on?

Logan: It depends. It goes in cycles, y'know. This is an election year so politics, politics, politics all the time. And people are, you hear that people are tired of hearing about the war. So you have to fight against that. But generally what you have to say is that "I'm holding the armor piercing RPG. It's aimed at the bureau chief and if you don't put my story on the air I'm going to pull the trigger." That's worked.

[snip]

Stewart: ...Do you watch the news that we're watching-

Logan:
No.

Stewart:
-here in the United States?

Logan:
No.

Stewart:
Do you see what we're hearing about the war? Do you-

Logan:
No

Stewart:
So we might, we might actually know everything...

Logan:
If I were to watch the news that you hear in the United States I would just blow my brains out, because it would drive me nuts.

Stewart:
Really?

Logan:
Yeah.

[snip]

Stewart: ....Are we just numb? Are we...Have we lost our humanity with this entire situation?

Logan: Yeah. We have. Y'know, I was asked once 'do you feel responsible for the American public having a bad view, a negative view of the war in Iraq?' and I looked at the reporter and I said 'Tell me the last time you saw the body of a dead American soldier. What does that look like? Who in America knows what that looks like? Because I know what that looks like.' And I feel responsible for the fact that no one else does. You know. That's what I feel responsible for.
Damn.

You can tell Jon was embarrassed by his flip questioning. The interview's windout shows a chagrined Stewart going to commercial as if he'd had his hand slapped.

Nice to see a journalist with some fire about this subject.

Watch the whole thing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Can we just come out with the new bumper sticker "What would Russert do?"

Christ, the guy was an extremely well paid talking head, not Momma T.

I'm sure he was a very good family man, but lots of those die each day.

Let's compare his work to Lara's.