Monday, April 13, 2009

Let's not F#&@! with Ms. Trunk today

Here's a great post from Penelope Trunk about why people shouldn't snark at other parents.

You never know what you could unleash

Here's the setup:
...in a moment of innocent desperation, I wrote on Twitter: “No school today and the nanny's on vacation. A whole day with the kids gets so boring: all intergalactic battles and no intellectual banter.”

I almost didn’t post that Twitter because it’s so banal.

But, in just seconds, because that’s how Twitter works, there was a firestorm of men telling me that I’m a bad mom. Really. Yes.

Here’s one from David Dellifield:
“@penelopetrunk sorry your kids are a burden, send them to OH, we'll enjoy them for who they are”
David, David, David... somebody's having a bad time parenting and you chose to pile on.

Fair enough - except David did it on the internet, using his personal information.

Oops.

Ms. Trunk was not at all pleased.

And said so.

At length.

Here's a sample:
For all you guys who Twittered back to me that I’m a bad mom and that I should love being home with my kids, here’s a link for you: CEOs who are on Twitter. Because let me tell you something: None of these people needs to earn the money they are earning. They have enough money. They can stay home with their kids. But instead, they are at work.

Rock on, Ms. Trunk. (And thank you Mr. Dellifield, for being the cautionary tale most of us were otherwise bound to become.)

No comments: