Monday, April 20, 2009

NYT to Emptywheel on Waterboarding: credit where credit is due

Marcy Wheeler bags an elephant.

Via the New York Times:
C.I.A. interrogators used waterboarding, the near-drowning technique that top Obama administration officials have described as illegal torture, 266 times on two key prisoners from Al Qaeda, far more than had been previously reported.

The C.I.A. officers used waterboarding at least 83 times in August 2002 against Abu Zubaydah, according to a 2005 Justice Department legal memorandum. Abu Zubaydah has been described as a Qaeda operative.

And how does the NYT know this?
The new information on the number of waterboarding episodes came out over the weekend when a number of bloggers, including Marcy Wheeler of the blog emptywheel, discovered it in the May 30, 2005, memo.

I am beyond disgusted at our government's past behavior, but I cannot help but cheer for a relentless blogger like Marcy getting a hat tip for doing what she's always done: inform the public.

Rock on.

No comments: