Monday, May 18, 2009

George Vaillant's longitude

The Atlantic has a great article about George Vaillant and his epic psychological study.

Mr. Vaillant is the director of a study that has been following the lives of 268 men for forty-two years and counting.

Yeah - pretty darn cool.

Vaillant's an interesting subject himself - he summarizes his temperament as that of the second son in the story of a father who:
...on Christmas Eve puts into one son’s stocking a fine gold watch, and into another son’s, a pile of horse manure. The next morning, the first boy comes to his father and says glumly, “Dad, I just don’t know what I’ll do with this watch. It’s so fragile. It could break.” The other boy runs to him and says, “Daddy! Daddy! Santa left me a pony, if only I can just find it!”

Interesting stuff.

(H/t Good Experience)

No comments: