Props to MN's ex-governor. Say what you want about the man, he knows crime when he sees it - and he's got a gift for the soundbite (emphasis mine):
[Jesse] VENTURA: I don't watch much TV. This year's reading, I covered Bush's life. I covered Guantanamo and a few other subjects. And I'm very disturbed about it. I'm bothered over Guantanamo because it seems we've created our own Hanoi Hilton. We can live with that? I have a problem. I will criticize President Obama on this level; it's a good thing I'm not president because I would prosecute every person that was involved in that torture. I would prosecute the people that did it. I would prosecute the people that ordered it. Because torture is against the law.
[CNN's Larry] KING: You were a Navy SEAL.Watch the video clip.
VENTURA: That's right. I was water boarded, so I know -- at SERE School, Survival Escape Resistance Evasion. It was a required school you had to go to prior to going into the combat zone, which in my era was Vietnam. All of us had to go there. We were all, in essence -- every one of us was waterboarded. It is torture.
KING: What was it like?
VENTURA: It's drowning. It gives you the complete sensation that you are drowning. It is no good, because you -- I'll put it to you this way, you give me a waterboard, Dick Cheney and one hour, and I'll have him confess to the Sharon Tate murders.
It's just so illuminating to see a member of the the media softball club confronted with someone who is unabashedly accusing the Bush administration of criminal conduct. King's running footage of the White House Correspondents dinner, asking if Obama is "likeable" saying "alright already with Bush" - and Ventura just steamrolls him.
Ventura is certainly not the most enlightened politician - but as Glenn points out - he's hardly a bleeding heart from the far-left.
He wants torture prosecuted because it is wrong. Because it is a stain on the country he loved and served.
Hell yeah.
No comments:
Post a Comment